Dr. Tarek Salem is an Associate professor of organic chemistry. Dr. Salem holds a PhD in polymer chemistry “Plasma-based surface modifications of polyester fabrics and their interaction with cationic polyelectrolytes and anionic dyes”- from Chemnitz University of Technology, Germany under the supervision of Professor Stefan Spange.
He worked as a guest scientist from 2007 to 2014 in Leibniz Institute for polymer research (IPF), Dresden, Germany. After that, he was promoted to Associate Professor in 2018 and was appointed a DAAD postdoctoral Fellowship in the polymer interfaces department, Leibniz Institute for polymer research (IPF), Dresden, Germany in 2013.
From 2015 until 2020, he worked as a technical consultant for specialty chemicals and auxiliaries companies. Attending as a distinguished guest in the launching ceremony of China Detergent & Cosmetics on April 27, 2016 at the Shanghai Guoman hotels, China. He was invited to many international conferences in Germany, Italy, Bulgaria and China as a speaker with a number of 21 publications in both national & international journals. In 2016, he published an entry entitled “PET Fabrics, Plasma Pre-Treated Poly-DADMAC Containing: Modification and Surface Activity” in Encyclopedia of plasma technology.
- PhD in Polymer Chemistry from the Chemnitz University of Technology, Germany 2012.
- B.Sc. degree in Chemistry, Faculty of Science, Cairo University 1997.
- Surface modification and functionalization of polymer interfaces and nanomaterials by wet chemical methods and physico-chemical treatments.
- Synthesis of hybrid materials made from polymers and inorganic metal oxide particles.
- Synthesis of Non-Isocyanate Polyurethane from renewable sources.
List of Publications
1. Madiha al kashouty; Tarek salem; Hanan elsayad; Somia Twaffiek; Shimaa Elhadad “Surface modification of blended fabrics by silica nanoparticles to improve their printability" Egyptian journal of chemistry, vol. 63, issue 9, page 3271-3287, September 2020
2. Madiha al kashouty; Hanan elsayad; Somia Twaffiek; Tarek salem; Shimaa Elhadad “An Overview: Textile Surface Modification by Using Sol-gel Technology" vol. 63, issue 9, page 3301-3311, September 2020
3. Tarek Salem, Frank Simon “Ag nanoprism/PDADMAC/SiO2 composite nanostructure for textile coloration” submitted to journal of composite materials (2020)
4. Tarek Salem, Frank Simon “Ag nanoprism / Polyvinylamine/SiO2 for functional textile coatings” submitted to composite structures (2020)
5. Tarek Salem, Jagannath Chanda, Martin Müller, Frank Simon “Fabrication of water-repellent coatings on cotton fabric surface for clean textile printing” submitted to journal of cleaner production (2020)
6. Tarek Salem, Frank Simon “Novel environmentally friendly colorants for multifunctional textiles” submitted to journal of cleaner production (2020)
7. Tarek Salem, M. Salama “Developing a new class of UV-curable polyurethane acrylate resins for coatings applications" DOI: 10.21608/ejchem.2019.14853.1906, Egypt. J. Chem, accepted to publish in august 2019
8. Tarek Salem, M. Salama “Impact of UV-curable matrix containing nitrogen group on printing behavior of polyester fabric” in preparation, (2019).
9. H. H. Abdel Ghafar, M. Salama, Emad K. Radwan, T. Salem “Recycling of pre-consumer viscose waste fibers for the removal of cationic dye from aqueous solution” Volume 62, Issue 6, June 2019, Page 1057-1067, Egypt. J. Chem (2019)
10. Tarek Salem, Madiha El-Kashouty, Martin Müller, and Frank Simon” Sol-gel synthetic route to improve interaction of polyester/cotton blended fabric with anionic dyes” Egypt. J. Chem., Vol. 60, No. 6, Page 2051-2064 (2017)
11. H. H. Abdel Ghafar, T. Salem, E.K. Radwan, A. Atef El-Sayed, M.A. Embaby, M. Salama ” Modification of Waste Wool Fiber as Low Cost Adsorbent for The Removal of Methylene Blue from Aqueous Solution” Egypt. J. Chem. Vol. 60, No.3, pp.395 – 406 (2017)
12. Tarek Salem, Frank Simon, A. Atef El-Sayed, and M. Salama ” Plasma-assisted Surface Modification of Polyester Fabric for Developing Halochromic Properties” Fibers and Polymers, Vol.18, No.4, 731-740, (2017) Page 8 of 11
13. M. Salama, A.G. Hassabo, A. Atef Elsayed, Tarek Salem, and C. Popescu “Reinforcement of Polypropylene Composites Based on Recycled wool or cotton powders” Journal of natural fibers , Volume 14, No. 6, Pages 823-836 , (2017)
14. A. Atef Elsayed, Tamer Hamouda, M. Salama, and Tarek Salem “Spinning of Polyacrylamidoximes by Solution Blowing Technique: synthesis and characterization” Fibers and Polymers, Vol.17, No.9, 1456-1463, (2016) DOI 10.1007/s12221-016-6585-6.
15. Tarek Salem, M. Salama and A. Atef El-Sayed “Ultrasound Assisted Synthesis and Characterization of Polyurethane for Coating Applications” Indian Journal of Science and Technology, Vol 9(17), DOI: 10.17485/ĳst/2016/v9i17/87215, May 2016
16. A. Atef El-Sayed, M. Salama ,T. Salem and M. Rehan ” Synergistic Combination of Reduction and Polymerization Reactions to Prepare Silver/Waterborne Polyurethane Nanocomposite for Coating Applications” Indian Journal of Science and Technology, Vol 9(17), DOI: 10.17485/ĳst/2016/v9i17/87216, May 2016
17. Tarek Salem, Anja Caspari, Martin Müller, Frank Simon “New silica-based nanoparticles to modify fabric surfaces versatility “ 8th Aachen-Dresden International Textile conference, November 27-28, 2014, Dresden, Germany
18. Tarek Salem, Dieter Pleul, Mirko Nitschke, Martin Müller, Frank Simon “Different plasma-based strategies to improve the interaction of anionic dyes with polyester fabrics surface” Applied surface science 264 (2013) 286-296
19. Tarek Salem, Steffi Uhlmann, Mirko Nitschke, Alfredo Calvimontes, Rolf-Dieter Hund, Frank Simon “Modification of plasma pre-treated PET fabrics with poly-DADMAC and its surface activity towards acid dyes” Progress in Organic Coatings 72 (2011) 168– 174.
20. M.A. El-Kashouty, M.M. El-Molla, T.S. Salem, A.A. El-Halwagy ” Chemical modification of fenugreek gum via cyanoethylation, and its utilization as thickener in textile printing” Egypt. J. Chem. (2004) 163-181
21. M.A. El-Kashouty, M.M. El-Molla, T.S. Salem, A.A. El-Halwagy ” Chemical modification of fenugreek gum via acetylation, and its utilization as thickener in textile printing" 1St international conference of textile research division, March 2-4, 2004, Egypt
Books and chapters
1. Invited entry in Encyclopedia of plasma technology,
Editor: J. Leon Shohet, Publisher: Taylor and Francis Group
Title: “PET Fabrics, Plasma Pre-Treated Poly-DADMAC Containing: Modification and Surface Activity” Author: Tarek Salem, Accepted 07.07.2014 ISBN: 9781466500594 Date of publishing: 15.08.2016
2. Surface modification of fabric blends by using sol-gel technology
Authors: Shimaa El-Hadad, Madiha El-Kashouty, Tarek Salem
Publisher: Lambert Academic Publishing
ISBN13: 978-3-659-96969-0 ISBN10: 9783659969690 Date of publishing: 18.10.2016
New chemical product registration by REACH
1. Pre-Registration of carbonated soybean oil as new intermediate in manufacturing non-isocyanates polyurethanes by SGS (under processing)
Ph.D. thesis entitled “Surface modification of some blended fabrics by sol-gel technology to improve their printability” 2013 – 2016, Helwan University, Egypt
Galala Plateau , Attaka , Suez