Hassan El Dessouky
Professor Hassan El-Dessouky is a Professor of Applied Physics at Faculty of Science, Mansoura University, Egypt. Professor El-Dessouky received his BSc, MSc, PhD degrees in Physics from Mansoura University in Egypt followed by 15 years working experience in the UK. In 2005, he worked for University of Leeds UK from 2005 to 2012 as a Senior Research Fellow then worked for University of Sheffield Advanced Manufacturing Research Centre (AMRC with Boeing) from 2013 to Oct 2020 as Senior Scientist in lightweight composites.
Professor El-Dessouky established a research centre called Dry Fibre Processing facility centre for performing and ultralight thermoplastics research activities for composites manufacturing applications at University of Sheffield AMRC with Boeing. He led the dry fibre centre from 2013 to 2018. He has around 25-year experience in multidisciplinary research aspects in the field of Composites Science and Technology including Optics, Fibres, Polymers, Textiles and Nanocomposites. He published 60 scientific papers in high quality journals and international conferences. He has professional memberships with the American Fibre Society, SAMPE and British Composites Society. Professor El-Dessouky supervised 8 MSc and 4 PhD students.
Area of Research
- Optical inspections & laser applications
- Fibre-reinforced polymer composites & nanocomposites
- Advanced materials and manufacturing
- Lightweight materials for energy generation
- Polymer science & engineering
- Smart textiles
List of publications
A total of 55 publications in peer-reviewed journals and international conferences’ proceedings including 3 book chapters and a patent were achieved. As an example of the high impact factor journals that Prof El-Dessouly published in;
Composites Part A (IF= 6.444), Composites Part B (IF= 7.635), Composite Structures (IF= 5.138), European Polymer Journal (IF= 3.862) and Optics and Laser in Engineering (IF= 4.273).
1. C.A. Lawrence and H.M. El-Dessouky, Patent entitled “Process: Spread-tow Thermoplastic Prepreg” The invention relates to a process and assembly for preparing a dry thermoplastic prepreg and to a method for fabricating a reinforced thermoplastic composite. Pub. No.: US 2015/0101756 A1. Click here
2. H.M. El-Dessouky & M.N. Saleh, Chapter 4: “3D Woven Composites: From Weaving to Manufacturing” in a book “Recent Developments in the Field of Carbon Fibers”, IN TECH (2018). Click here
3. H.M. El-Dessouky, Chapter 6: “Spread Tow Technology for Ultra- lightweight CFRP Composites: Potential & Possibilities” in a book “Advanced Composite Materials: Properties and Applications”, De Gruyter, Berlin (2017). Click here
4. H.M. El-Dessouky, Chapter 2: “Novel Surface Treatments for High Performance Textiles” in a book “High Performance Textiles and Their Applications”, Woodhead publishing Ltd, Cambridge (2014). Click here
1. M. Saeedifara, M.N. Saleh, H.M. El-Dessouky, S.T. De Freitasa, D. Zarouchasa, Damage assessment of NCF, 2D and 3D Woven Composites under Compression After Multiple-Impact using Acoustic Emission, Composites Part A, 132 (2020) 105833.
2. M.N. Saleh, H.M. El-Dessouky, M. Saeedifara, S.T. De Freitasa, R. J. Scaife, D. Zarouchasa, Compression after multiple low velocity impacts of NCF, 2D and 3D woven composites, Composites Part A, 125 (2019) 105576.
3. H.M. El-Dessouky, M.N. Saleh, G. Han, R.J. Scaife, M. Gautam, P. Potluri, Tailored Fibre Placement of Commingled Carbon-Thermoplastic fibres for Notch-insensitive Composites, Composite Structures 214 (2019) 348-358.
4. T.Z.N. Sokkar, M.A. El-Bakary, M.I. Raslan, N.A. Al-Kalali, H.M. El-Dessouky, Interferometric investigation of the opto-mechanical and structural properties of PP/TiO2 nanocomposite fibres, Microscopy Research & Technique 82 (2019) 658–669.
5. A.M. Ali and H.M. El-Dessouky, An insight on the process-properties relationships of melt spun PLA fibres, Textile Research Journal 89 (2019) 4959-4966.
6. M.H. Akonda and H.M. El-Dessouky, Effect of Maleic-Anhydride Grafting on the Properties of Flax Reinforced Polypropylene Textile Composites, Journal of Textile Science and Technology, 5 (2019) 69-85.
7. H.M. El-Dessouky, B. Liu, M.N. Saleh and R.J. Scaife, Co-woven carbon and nylon fibres for manufacturing of thermoplastic composite plaques, Procida CIRP 85 (2019) 272 – 276.
8. A.E. Snape, J.L. Turner, H.M. El-Dessouky, M.N. Saleh, H. Tew, R.J. Scaife, Stabilising and trimming 3D woven fabrics for composite preforming applications, Applied Composite Materials, 25 (2018) 735–746.
9. Alice E. Snape, Jody L. Turner, Hassan M. El-Dessouky, Mohamed N. Saleh, Hannah Tew, Richard J. Scaife, Stabilising and trimming 3D woven fabrics for composite preforming applications, 8th conference on 3D fabrics and their applications 28-29 Mar at Manchester, UK (2018).
10. H.M. El-Dessouky, A.E. Snape, J.L. Turner, M.N. Saleh, H. Tew, R.J. Scaife, 3D weaving for advanced composite manufacturing: from research to reality, SAMPE conference, Seattle, 22-25th May USA (2017), 1246 – 1260.
11. R. Smith, Z. Qureshi, R. Scaife and H.M. El-Dessouky, Limitations of processing CFRP material using automated fibre placement technology. Journal of Reinforced Plastics and Composites, 35 (2016) 1527-1542.
12. H.M. El-Dessouky, A.E. Snape, H. Tew, R.J. Scaife, D.K. Modi, K. Kendall, C. McHugh, Design, weaving and manufacture of a large 3d composite structure for automotive applications, 7th International on 3D fabrics and their applications, 8-10 Sept at Roubaix, France (2016).
13. M.H. Akonda, C.A. Lawrence and H.M. El-Dessouky, Electrically conductive recycled carbon fibre-reinforced thermoplastic composites. Journal of Thermoplastic Composite Materials, 28 (2015) 1550-1563.
14. J. Turner, R.J. Scaife, and H.M. El-Dessouky, Effect of machining coolants on the integrity of FRP composites, Advanced Manufacturing: Polymer & Composites Science, 1 (2015) 54-60.
15. Z. Qureshi, T. Swait, R.J. Scaife and H.M. El-Dessouky, In-situ consolidation of thermoplastic prepreg tape using automated tape placement technology: Potential and Possibilities, Composites: Part B, 66 (2014) 255-267.
16. M.H. Akonda, H.M. El-Dessouky, C.A. Lawrence, B.M. Weager, A novel non-crimped thermoplastic fabric prepreg from waste carbon and polyester fibres, Journal of Composite Materials, 48 (2014) 843-851.
17. A. Kljun, H.M. El-Dessouky, T.A.S. Benians, F. Goubet, F. Meulewaeter, P.J. Knox, R.S. Blackburn, Analysis of the physical properties of developing cotton fibres, European Polymer Journal, 51 (2014) 57-68.
18. G. Lanzilao, R.S. Blackburn, P. Goswami, H.M. El-Dessouky, Himalayan nettle (Girardinia Diversifolia) and European nettle fibres and their applications in high-performance textiles: analysis and comparison of both fibres, 14th National & 1st International Recent Developments, Textile Technology and Chemistry Symposium, 8-10Th May (2013), Bursa, Turkey.
19. H.M. El-Dessouky and C.A. Lawrence, Ultra-lightweight carbon fibre / thermoplastic composite material using spread tow technology, Composites Part B, 50 (2013) 91-97.
20. B. Younes, A. Fotheringham and H.M. El-Dessouky and G. Haddad, A statistical analysis of the influence of multi-stage hot-drawing on the overall orientation of biodegradable aliphatic-aromatic co-polyester fibers, Journal of Engineered Fibers and Fabrics 8 (2013) 6-16.
21. T.Z.N. Sokkar, K.A. El-Farahaty, H.M. El-Dessouky and F.E. Hanash, Optical and structure properties of thermally treated iPP fibres: Effect of strain rate, Optics & Laser in Engineering, 51 (2013) 542-552.
22. A. Abdrabbo, H. M. El-Dessouky and A. F. Fotheringham, Treatment of polylactic acid fibre using low temperature plasma and its effects on vertical wicking and surface characteristics, The Journal of the Textile Institute, 104 (2013) 28-34.
23. H.M. El-Dessouky, C.A. Lawrence, T. McGrail and B. Broughton, Ultra-light weight thermoplastic composites: tow-spreading technology, ECCM15-15th European conference on composite materials, Venice, 24-28 June, (2012), Italy.
24. H.M. El-Dessouky, C.A. Lawrence, M. Jeschke and B. Broughton, Carbon fibre spread tows for lightweight thermoplastic composites, Composites UK Annual Conference 2012, Manchester, 10-11Th May, (2012) UK.
25. H.M. El-Dessouky and C.A. Lawrence, Nanoparticles dispersion in processing functionalized PP/TiO2 nanocomposites: distribution and properties, Journal of Nanoparticle Research, 13 (2011) 1115-1124.
26. B. Younes, A. Fotheringham, H.M. El-Dessouky and G. Haddad, Factorial optimization of the effects of melt spinning conditions on as-spun aliphatic-aromatic co-polyester fibres: I. Spin draw ratio, overall orientation and drawability, International Journal of Polymeric Materials and Polymeric Biomaterials, 60 (2011) 316-339.
27. B. Younes, A. Fotheringham and H.M. El-Dessouky, Factorial optimization of the effects of extrusion temperature profile and polymer grade on as-spun aliphatic-aromatic co-polyester fibres, I. Birefringence and overall orientation, Journal of Applied polymer Science, 118 (2010) 1270-1277.
28. H.M. El-Dessouky, K.M. Yassien and C.A. Lawrence, Effect of heating–cooling cycle on the opto-structural properties of low-density polyethylene fibres using two-beam interference microscopy, The Journal of the Textile Institute, 101(2010) 812-822.
29. K.M. Yassien, M.A. Agour, C.V. Kopylow, H.M. El-Dessouky, On the digital holographic interferometry of fibrous material: I. Optical properties of polymer and optical fibers, Optics & Laser in Engineering, 48(2010)555-560.
30. M. Zarrebini, M.R. Mahmoudi, M.A. El-Bakary, H.M. El-Dessouky and C. A. Lawrence The influence of fibre fineness on physical characteristics of staple polypropylene fibres spun at different pumping speeds, Journal of Applied Polymer science, 115 (2010) 2892-2897.
31. H.M. El-Dessouky, M.R. Mahmoudi, C.A. Lawrence, E.L.V. Lewis, A.M. Voice and I.M. Ward, On the physical behaviour of isotactic polypropylene fibres extruded at different draw-down ratios: II. Structure and properties, Polymer Engineering & Science 50 (2010) 200-208.
32. M. Akonda, C.A. Lawrence, M.R. Mahmoudi, H.M. El-Dessouky and A. Thomas, New materials concepts for ultra-lightweight fibre reinforce thermoplastic composites, ICCM17 International Conferences on Composite Materials, (2009), 27-31 Jul, Edinburgh, UK.
33. H.M. El-Dessouky, M.R. Mahmoudi, C.A. Lawrence, K.M. Yassien, T.Z.N. Sokkar and A.A. Hamza, On the physical behaviour of isotactic polypropylene fibres extruded at different draw-down ratios: I. Optical properties and cold-drawing, Polymer Engineering & Science 49 (2009) 2116–2124.
34. B. Younes, A. Fotheringham and H.M. El-Dessouky, Birefringent approach for assessing the influence of the extrusion temperature profile on the overall orientation of as-spun aliphatic-aromatic co-polyester fibers, Polymer Engineering & Science 49 (2009) 2492–2500.
35. H.M. El-Dessouky, Interferometric investigation of the optical and structural properties of thermally treated polyethylene fibers, Fibers & Polymers 10 (2009) 280-284.
36. P. Goswami, R.S. Blackburn, H.M. El-Dessouky, J. Taylor and P. White, Effect of sodium hydroxide pre-treatment on the optical and structural properties of Lyocell, European Polymer Journal 45 (2009) 455-465.
37. H.M. El-Dessouky, M.R. Mahmoudi, K.M. Yassien and C.A. Lawrence, An optical investigation of high-tenacity polyester (H-T PET) fibers annealed at different temperatures, Polymer Engineering & Science, 48 (2008) 2329- 2334.
38. H.M. El-Dessouky, C.A. Lawrence, A.M. Voice, E.L.V. Lewis, I. M. Ward, Interferometric determination of the intrinsic optical properties for cold-drawn PP, PTFE and PVDF Fibres, Journal of Optics A: Pure & Applied Optics, 9 (2007) 1041-1047.
39. H.M. El-Dessouky, A.A. Hamza, A.E. Belal, T.Z.N. Sokkar and K.M. Yassien, Interferometric studies for the annealing effects on the necking deformation along polypropylene fibres, Journal of Engineered Fibers and Fabrics, 2 (2007) 1-16.
40. H.M. El-Dessouky, Birefringent characterization of necking phenomenon along cold-drawn PP fibres, I-Offline drawing, Journal of Applied Polymer Science, 105 (2007) 757-764.
41. V.N. Wijayathunga, C.A. Lawrence, R.S. Blackburn, M.P.U. Bandara, E.L.V. Lewis, H.M. El-Dessouky and V. Cheung, Investigation of optical properties and dye sorption in laser irradiated poly(ethylene terephthalate) fibers, Optics & Laser Technology, 39 (2007) 1301-1309.
42. T.Z.N. Sokkar, H.M. El-Dessouky, M.A. Shams-Eldin and M.A. El-Morsy, An automatic fringe analysis of two-beam interference patterns for measurement the refractive index and birefringence profiles of fibers, Optics & Laser in Engineering, 45 (2007) 431-441.
43. A.A. Hamza, A.E. Belal, T.Z.N. Sokkar, H.M. El-Dessouky and K.M. Yassien, Detection of necking deformation along polypropylene fibres axis at low draw ratios using multiple-beam micro interferometry, Optics & Laser Technology, 39 (2007) 681-689.
44. A.A. Hamza, A.E. Belal, T.Z.N. Sokkar, H.M. El-Dessouky and M.A. Agour, Influence of temperature on the optical and dispersion parameters of GRIN optical fiber using multiple-beam Interferometry, Optics & Laser in Engineering, 45 (2007)145-152.
45. A.A. Hamza, T.Z.N. Sokkar, K.A. El-Farahaty, M.A. El-Morsy and H.M. El-Dessouky, Detecting and avoiding the necking deformation along polypropylene fibre axis using the fringe pattern analysis of multiple-beam micro interferometry, Optics & Lasers Technology, 37 (2005) 532-540.
46. A.A. Hamza, T.Z.N. Sokkar, K.A. El-Farahaty and H.M. El-Dessouky, Opto Thermo Mechanical device for Interferometric characterization of fibers, Journal of Applied Polymer Science, 95 (2005) 647-658.
47. A.A. Hamza, T.Z.N. Sokkar, K.A. El-Farahaty and H.M. El-Dessouky, Determination of the intrinsic birefringence of polymeric fibres, Polymer Testing, 23 (2004) 203-208.
48. A.A. Hamza, T.Z.N. Sokkar, K.A. El-Farahaty and H.M. El-Dessouky, Influence of temperature on the optical and structural properties along the diameter of optical fibres, Optics and Lasers in Engineering, 41(2004) 261-275.
49. A.A. Hamza, I.M. Fouda, T.Z.N. Sokkar, K.A. El-Farahaty and H.M. El-Dessouky, S.A. Helaly, Opto-mechanical devices attached with the interference microscopes designed for fibre characterization, VII international conference (ArchTex 2003), Institute of Textile Architecture, Lodz, Poland, March (2003) 91-101.
50. A.A. Hamza, T.Z.N. Sokkar, K.A. El-Farahaty and H.M. El-Dessouky, Influence of temperature on the optical and structural properties along the diameter of polymer fibres, Journal of Physics D: Condensed Matter, 11 (1999) 5331-5341.
51. A.A. Hamza, T.Z.N. Sokkar, K.A. El-Farahaty and H.M. El-Dessouky, Comparative study on interferometric techniques for measurement of optical properties of a fibre, Journal of Optics A: Pure and Applied Optics, 1 (1999) 41-50.
- Award of Scientific Merit by Egyptian Bureau for Cultural and Educational Affairs, London 2008.
- Lecturer of the School Award by AMRC Summer School, Sheffield 2016.
- International Publication Award from 2010 to 2018 by Mansoura University.
- Thesis Title; Optical inspection and image analysis of fibre reinforced composites – Researcher; Abdullah Alzayed – 2019/2023
Supervised by; Dr Hassan El-Dessouky, Prof Patrick Fairclough
- Thesis Title; Physical and structural characteristics of composites manufactured with different fibre architectures – Researcher; Mohammed AlOtaibi – 2019/2023
Supervised by; Dr Hassan El-Dessouky, Prof Patrick Fairclough, Dr Jody Turner
- Thesis Title; Mechanical joint design of Electrofusion Welded Coupler – Researcher; Maciej Gierulski – 2019/2023
Supervised by; Dr Rachel Tomlinson, Dr Hassan El-Dessouky, Prof Anthony Ryan
- Thesis Title; Thermal fusion of Electrofusion Welded Coupler – Researcher; Ameen Al Obedan – 2019/2023
Supervised by; Dr Rachel Tomlinson, Dr Hassan El-Dessouky, Prof Anthony Ryan
- Thesis Title; Affordable ultrathin spread tows for thermoplastic Composites – Researcher; Sophie Wilson – 2018/2019
Supervised by; Prof Patrick Fairclough, Dr Hassan El-Dessouky
- Thesis Title; Manufacturing Commingled Carbon Fibre/Thermoplastic Composites Using Tailored Fibre Placement – Researcher; Gisu Han – 2017/2018
Supervised by; Dr Hassan El-Dessouky, Dr Robert Barthorpe
- Thesis Title; Co-woven for Thermoplastic Composites Applications – Researcher; Bolong Liu – 2016/2017
Supervised by; Dr James Meredith, Dr Hassan El-Dessouky
- Thesis Title; Effect of varying weft density on 3D woven fibre composites mechanical properties and quality – Researcher; Tom Cass – 2015/2016
Supervised by; Dr James Meredith Dr, Hassan El-Dessouky
Galala Plateau , Attaka , Suez