Mohammed Ibrahim Awad is the program director of Mechatronics & Industrial Automation Program. He was granted his PhD in 2012 from University of Leeds in the UK. His research interest is in the area of Mechatronic systems design, robotics, control systems design, automation, digital manufacturing, smart composite structures, autonomous systems, pneumatic and Hydraulic systems, and Biomechatronics. His research activities focus on applying mechatronic system design approaches in the areas of industrial, healthcare, manufacturing, agriculture and energy. He is principal investigator (PI) and co-PI for four research projects.
Area of Research
- Industrial robotics.
- Rehabilitation robotics.
- Mechatronic system design.
- Automatic Control.
- Autonomous systems.
Link to Publications
List of Publications
1. Tahir Hussain, Nadeem Iqbal, Hafiz Farhan Maqbool, Mukhtaj Khan, Mohammed Ibrahim Awad, Abbas A Dehghani-Sanij, “Intent based recognition of walking and ramp activities for amputee using sEMG based lower limb prostheses”, Biocybernetics and Biomedical Engineering, 2020.
2. Omar T. Abdelaziz, Shady A. Maged, Mohammed I. Awad, “Towards Dynamic Task/Posture Control of a 4DOF Humanoid Robotic Arm”, International Journal of Mechanical Engineering and Robotics Research, 2020.
3. Alireza Abouhossein, Mohammed I. Awad, Hafiz F. Maqbool, Carl Crisp, Todd Stewart, Neil Messenger, Robert C. Richardson, Abbas A. Dehghani-Sanij, and David Bradley, “Foot trajectories and loading rates in a transfemoral amputee for six different commercial prosthetic knees: An indication of adaptability", Medical engineering & physics, 2019.
4. H. F. Maqbool, M. A. B. Husman, M. I. Awad, A. Abouhossein, N. Iqbal, and A. A. Dehghani-Sanij, “Heuristic real-time detection of temporal gait events for lower limb amputees”, IEEE Sensors Journal, 2019 (DOI: 10.1109/JSEN.2018.2889970)
5. M. Zarzoura, P. Del Moral, M. I Awad, and F. A. Tolbah, “Investigation into reducing anthropomorphic hand degrees of freedom while maintaining human hand grasping functions'', Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part H: Journal of Engineering in Medicine, 2019
6. S. A. Abdelwahab, F. A. Tolbah, M. M. Abdelhameed, M. B. Trabia, and M. I. Awad, “Characterization and Control of IPMC for Use in Bio-inspired Actuators'', International Journal of Mechanisms and Robotic Systems (ISSN 2047-7252), 4(3), pp.155-175, 2018.
7. Adrian Bee Tiong Soon, Kian Sek Tee, Mohammed Ibrahim Awad, and Chin Fhong Soon. “Oncoming Vehicle Detection with Variable-Focus Liquid Lens." International Journal of Integrated Engineering 10, no. 8 (2018).
8. H. F. Maqbool, M. A. B. Husman, M. I. Awad, A. Abouhossein, N. Iqbal, and A. A. Dehghani-Sanij, “A Real-Time Gait Event Detection for Lower Limb Prosthesis Control and Evaluation," IEEE Transactions on Neural Systems and Rehabilitation Engineering (ISSN: 1534-4320), Vol. 25, Issue 9, pp.1500-1509, 2017.
9. A. A. Ibrahim, M. I. Awad, A. A. Alnaqi, A. A. Abdel Kader, and F. A. Tolbah, “Features Selection and Pattern Classification of Electroencephalography Motor Imagery Tasks of Right Hand”, Research Journal of Applied Sciences, Engineering and Technology (ISSN 2040-7467), 14(10): 372-379, 2017.
● CLAWAR Association best technical paper in CLAWAR 2011 awarded for “Design of an Efficient Back-Drivable Semi-Active above Knee Prosthesis”, September 2011, Paris, France.
● Winning the PhD. lab-poster prize for the Dynamics and Control Lab., School of Mechanical Engineering, University of Leeds, Leeds, UK. March 2012
● Principal investigator (PI) of two projects;
– The first project aims to develop robotic gloves equipped with smart and intelligent features to help in assisting and rehabilitation of post-stroke patients.
– The second project aims to establish a multi discipline research lab involving researchers from engineering and medical backgrounds to design and develop integrated solutions to support and rehabilitate people with disabilities, special needs and motor impairment and translate these solutions into medical practice.
● CO-PI for a project that aims to use robotics and artificial intelligence for non-destructive assembly of electronic wastes.
Galala Plateau , Attaka , Suez