If you are passionate about science and getting involved in world changing developments like finding new treatments for diseases or identifying important genetic traits, then studying this program is the right choice for you!
Nowadays, pathogens play an essential role in people’s lives all over the globe. After the discovery of COVID 19, the world’s population is facing unexpected troubles in their routine lives, access to healthcare, countries lock down, social and economic problems and much more. Global population is facing more disasters and no one can predict or assure how it is going to be in the near future.
It is the era of Biotechnology to save human lives. Biotechnology approaches contribute to all information gained about COVID-19 pandemic starting from discovery, detection, disease progression, treatment and finally vaccine development. Without biotechnology, scientists and researchers will not be able to develop vaccine, introduce new treatments for different diseases and save people’s lives.
Biotechnology is essential in our daily life not only in disease prevention, detection, treatment and vaccination but also in food industry, architecture, environment protection, cosmetics, sports, textile industry, kinesiology, physical therapy, medicinal plants, agriculture and all fields you can imagine. If you are passionate about understanding the mechanism of life and improving its quality, you can achieve this by studying Molecular Biotechnology.
Biotechnology involves the manipulation of living organisms to create useful products. While your role may vary in different environments, your sound understanding of genetics, biochemistry and microbiology will provide you with a very sound base to develop your future. Molecular biotechnology program underpins modern life sciences and looks at how macro-molecules like proteins and nucleic acids can help solve biological problems.
This allows you to test biochemical theories on a small, controlled scale before adapting them into real-world solutions. Molecular biotechnology has applications in plant and animal agriculture, aquaculture, chemical and textile manufacturing, forestry, and food processing. Today and in the coming decades, every aspect of our lives will be affected by this dynamic field.
In the laboratory sessions during undergraduate study, you will learn all basic and advanced techniques in different fields of biotechnology. In addition, studying at GU will equip you with all cognitive and practical skills essential to formulate specific hypothesis, write your research strategy, suggest alternative approaches and move from bench side to applicable fields that increase the quality of life all over the world.
For B.Sc. degree in Science, the student should successfully complete a total of 132 credit hours, classified as follows:
University Requirement: 20 Credit Hours.
Field Requirement: 57 Credit Hours.
Specialty Requirement: 55 Credit Hours.
Graduates of this program will possess the following learning outcomes:
- Understand molecular cell biology and abnormalities in cell functions that may cause disease.
- Identify genome, transcriptome proteome, and metabolome of normal and abnormal cells.
- Analyze molecular diversity, structure and composition to characterize biological systems, their functioning and interaction: genomics, proteomics, metabolomics.
- Apply modern investigation methods to work according to principles of good laboratory practice and rules of bioethics.
- Collect, process, preserve and prepare research material under laboratory and field conditions.
- Create research strategy and alternative approaches to study mechanism of different diseases.
- Define the role of different immune cells in disease pathogenesis.
- Complete extensive laboratory courses in small groups while applying methods of scientific work within the framework of bachelor’s thesis.
There is a worldwide demand for well-trained molecular researchers and scientists who will work in multidisciplinary fields of biomedical sciences and medicine to save human lives and increase the quality of life all over the world. Graduates of this program will discover, invent and develop identifying biomarkers involved in disease progression.
Graduates of this program can work as:
- Clinical Researchers in Hospitals.
- Specialists and experts in the field of vitro fertilization (IVF).
- Assistant Biologists in Food Inspection Agencies.
- Teachers in high schools and Universities.
- Quality Control managers in Biopharmaceutical Industry.
- Marketing specialists in Pharmaceuticals and Medical Supplies companies.
Galala Plateau , Attaka , Suez